Joint-effort aimed at assisting holiday drive for deployed service members overseas
911th Airlift Wing, Moon Twp., Pa. – At a recent membership meeting, the Marcellus Shale Coalition (MSC) announced a new partnership with the Society of American Military Engineers (S.A.M.E.) Pittsburgh Post to collect and deliver supplies to members of America’s military serving overseas. In the coming weeks, the MSC will collect supplies from member companies and assist S.A.M.E with shipping costs in an effort to show the industry’s deep sense of gratitude to our nation’s military members and their families this holiday season. Local, deployed units and individuals will be directly supported by this effort.
“As Americans, we should take a moment every day and reflect upon those who serve to defend, preserve and protect our freedoms,” said Kathryn Klaber, president and executive director of the Marcellus Shale Coalition. “We are thrilled to partner with S.A.M.E. Pittsburgh Post to show that gratitude, and look forward to building upon this important relationship as we welcome home our service members and wounded warriors from the battlefield, helping to facilitate that transition through job-placement and training programs in our growing industry.”
“Having served in the Air Force Reserves for twelve years and now working as an engineer in the industry, I’m indebted for the support my colleagues in our industry have displayed through this partnership,” said Gene Janero, Secretary of S.A.M.E. Pittsburgh Post. “The Pittsburgh Post looks forward to building this partnership with the MSC and their members to assist those returning from overseas with potential employment opportunities.”
The MSC will assist in collecting the following items:
- Non-perishable pre-packaged foods: Fruit bars, granola bars, cookies, non-melting candy, powdered drink mixes, instant creamer, sugar, hot sauce, ketchup, mustard, liquid flavor ice pops, chewing gum, beef jerky, bubble gum, peanuts, pretzels, potato chips, dried fruit snacks, trail mix, Slim Jims, raisins, Pop Tarts, cereal, peanut butter, peanut butter crackers, cheese crackers, tuna in pouches, Pringles, and sunflower seeds.
- Family type magazines: Sports Illustrated, National Geographic, Time Entertainment Weekly, magazines and periodicals of local interest (e.g. Steelers & Penguins), crossword puzzles (please remove or cut out mailing addresses), paperback books, card games, and board games.
- Personal Hygiene Items: Instant hand sanitizer, soap, mouthwash, toothpaste, hand lotion, toothbrushes, soft toilet paper, deodorant, chap stick, non-aerosol shaving cream, shampoo, sun screen, and razors.
- Basic 1st Aid items: Band Aids, non-prescription pain relievers, cortisone cream, Neosporin, and Gold Bond foot cream.
- Linens: single (twin) bed sheets that can fit on a cot and pillows, and pillow cases.
- Supplies: AA batteries, writing paper, pencils, small pencil sharpeners, pens, telephone calling cards, and patriotic stickers and emblems.
About S.A.M.E.: The mission of the Society of American Military Engineers is to promote and facilitate engineering support for national security by developing and enhancing relationships and competencies among uniformed services, public and private sector engineers, and related professionals. Learn more at: same-pgh.org.
About MSC: Founded in 2008, the Marcellus Shale Coalition (MSC) is an organization committed to the responsible development of natural gas from the Marcellus Shale geological formation and the enhancement of the region’s economy that can be realized by this clean-burning energy source. Members of the coalition work with partners from across the region to address issues with regulations, local, county, state and federal government officials and communities about all aspects of producing clean-burning, job-creating natural gas from the Marcellus Shale. Click HERE to watch our new video – “Building a Stronger, More Secure America” – that highlights veterans working in the natural gas industry.