As we gather with family and friends to celebrate Thanksgiving, we’d like to take the opportunity to reflect on the economic, environmental and national security progress made possible by clean-burning American natural gas. Here are just a few of the many ways that abundant and affordable natural gas is moving America forward.
- U.S. Energy Security: For the first time since 1957, the United States is a net exporter of natural gas. The federal EIA expects U.S. LNG exports to average 6.4 Bcf/d in 2020. LNG exports helps America’s economy and workers and our allies abroad.
- Job & Economic Growth: Natural gas has positioned our region for manufacturers looking to relocate and invest. Recently, Pittsburgh was ranked as one of the most successful “Rust Belt” cities, citing its “steady supply of well-paying, blue-collar jobs” from the shale industry.
- Reliable & Affordable: Shale production has saved American households an average $1,100 – $2,200 annually. This savings is especially beneficial for low-income populations as fuel costs take up a large part of household expenses.
- Cleaner Air: Nationwide, CO2 emissions are at their lowest point in 25 years. Pa. DEP Secretary Patrick McDonnell summarized these air progress improvements made possible by natural gas:
“We’ve seen, for example, the Clean Power Plan proposal that the Obama administration put forward, we were already well on our way in large part – and actually since met what were proposed goals – primarily because of the shift towards cleaner natural gas. We’ve seen improvements on ozone, we’ve seen improvements in those asthma precursors, those VOCs and nitrogen oxides.”
BONUS: Watch our new video, Scarcity to Abundance: American Energy Strength, and please share with your friends online!
- Pa. Voters Broadly Support Natural gas, Manufacturing Growth
- Study Confirms “Little Potential for Radiation Exposure” From Oil and Natural Gas Development
- MSC Member Spotlight: The Tri-M Group
- Carbon Emissions Continue Fall as Natural Gas Generates Larger U.S. Power Share
- Reports: Natural Gas Use Saves Lives, Drives Emission Reductions