The short answer is the natural gas found in central and northeastern Pennsylvania is considered “dry gas” while the natural gas developed in western and southwestern Pennsylvania is “wet gas.” This has to do with the contents of the gas. Dry gas is close to pure methane. Wet gas has heavier hydrocarbons (butane, ethane, propane) […]
Archives for August 2013
Approximately 10 to 30 percent of the total water used in the hydraulic fracturing process returns to the surface as what is called flowback water. This remaining water, which contains naturally occurring elements is captured and stored within the formation itself. The flowback water that returns to the surface is treated and reused or sent […]
How many wells are there currently? How much water used at each well? Where is the water from? How many trucks operate at each well? What chemicals are in the slurry? Where does the polluted toxic slurry go?
There have been roughly 8,000 Marcellus wells drilled in Pennsylvania, though since that number is always growing, we encourage you to consult updated Pa. Department of Environmental Protection records, which include the number of wells drilled in each county and by each operator; the amount of natural gas produced by each well; the number of […]
As you may know, the Susquehanna River Basin Commission (SRBC) regulates water withdrawals and consumptive water use in the river basin, for all industrial, including natural gas use. SRBC provides a great overview of its role in natural gas development. Click here to view that online. And while natural gas development continues at a steady […]
If a natural gas operator does in fact go bankrupt, the same process holds true for their business as it would for any other business. Natural gas operators are also required to have a bond on their well pads in the event something should occur and the company is no longer in existence to address […]
While there are a number of online resources for employment opportunities in the natural gas industry, we would direct you to the Marcellus Shale Coalition’s Job Portal, which links to the employment sections of our 300+ member companies websites.
I have a natural gas stove. Every time I turn it on, my dog gets scared and runs out of the house. Is natural gas bad for the animals?
Not that we’re aware of. As pet owners and dog lovers ourselves, my dog gets scared when I turn on the vacuum cleaner. So it may just be a function of the dog not liking the blue flame. But to be certain, you may want to consult with your vet.
That’s a great question. The Pennsylvania Tourism Office provides a great deal of timely information regarding the Commonwealth’s unique, regional fall leave patterns. Click HERE for more information. Likewise, the Pennsylvania Department Of Conservation and Natural Resources, which notes that “Pennsylvania has a longer and more varied fall foliage season than any other state in […]
600 plus chemicals being pumped into the ground affect the ground water, what clean up can be done to fix that?
Despite claims, hydraulic fracturing fluids are made up of approximately 99.5 percent of the fluid is water and sand. The other 0.5 percent of the fracturing fluid is composed of (in most cases) 3 to 12 additives – not 600 – that serve a unique purpose. This from FracFocus, a national hydraulic fracturing fluids disclosure […]